Svetitskhoveli Cathedral – is the main Christian Orthodox Cathedral in Georgia. Built in 1010-1029 cc by the Georgian architect Arsukisdze and represents the high artistic value of Feudal time’s architecture. It was the main pilgrimage place on the Silk Road. The burial place of the Christ’s Robe, the tomb place of Georgian Kings and the most frequently visited place in Georgia. It is listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site and. Located in the historical town of Mtskheta, the former capital of the kingdom of Iberia.
Excursion in Svetitskhoveli Cathedral to Mtskheta Georgia
Driving distance from Tbilisi is 20 km (15 minutes) North-West. The history of the monument dates back to the 1st century A.D. According to the main legend a part of the Lord’s tunic fell into the hands of a Mtskheta dweller, local Jewish man Eliazar. Who had witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Eliazar brought the tunic to Georgia. In Mtskheta he was met by his sister, Sidonia. She strained the tunic to her breast and gave her soul to God. No one could take the precious thing from Sidonia’s hands and therefore she was buried holding the tunic. On her grave a miraculous tree grew under which curative sweet-smelling liquid streamed throughout summer and winter. Read more